Main page content begins here

Frequently Asked Questions

Until Further Notice, the Tribunals Office is Closed to the Public

Filing an Appeal During the Closure

If you require assistance in filing an appeal during this closure, please email or call for further instructions.

In-person Services During the Closure

In-person services are available by appointment only, please email or call to schedule an appointment with Tribunals staff.

Service of Court Documents During the Closure

Subdivision and Development Appeal Board

Please fax to 780-577-3537

Community Standards and Licence Appeal Committee

Please fax to 780-401-7054

Assessment Review Board

Please fax to780-496-8199

Why do I have to pay an appeal fee?

A small fee is charged to help offset costs of administration and to discourage frivolous appeals. The appeal fees are set by City Council through the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board Bylaw 18307.

How are appeals different for sites in Direct Control Zones?

In all appeals of developments in Direct Control (DC) Zones, the authority of the Board is limited by Section 685(4) of the Municipal Government Act. The Board must first determine whether the Development Officer correctly followed the directions of City Council. The directions of Council for each Direct Control Zone site are reflected in the Zoning Bylaw. City Council usually has a specific intent for these sites, for example to preserve the unique character of an area, and will specify the uses and development regulations allowed there.

It is the responsibility of the Appellant to provide evidence to the Board so that the Board can determine whether the Development Officer followed those directions when making a decision. If the Board finds that the Development Officer did not follow the directions of City Council it may provide a new decision that is in accordance with the directions of Council.

Can the Board consider Condominium Bylaws?

Condominium bylaws must be dealt with privately, between a condominium board and the individual who has applied for the development permit. The Board is bound by the Municipal Government Act and the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw.

What are the written submission deadlines?

The Hearing Procedures outline the typical written submission deadlines. Written submission deadlines may be modified at the discretion of the Chair or the Clerk for any appeal filed with the Board.

Stage 1

Who can file a complaint and how to do it.

For More Information

Subdivision and Development Appeal Board

Office of the City Clerk
Churchill Building
10019 - 103 Avenue
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0G9

Hours of Operation  
Monday to Friday
8:30am-noon and 1:00pm-4:00pm 

Please note the office will be closed over the lunch hour. 

Telephone 780-496-6079
Fax 780-577-3537
Map Google Maps

Copyright © 2024, Edmonton Tribunals.
All rights reserved.